Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bushfire Experience...

All across Victoria, no matter how big or small their pockets are, everyone is lending their hands and reaching out to those who lost their homes, clothes, friends and families to one of the worst bushfires, Victoria has ever seen.

You never think that it will happen to you.. That you wont be one of those who had to wait it out and hope and pray that you get out safely... Well, I never thought it would me.

On Friday, 6th Feb, my RST team and I headed out towards East Gippsland, Walhalla, where our campsite was located at Rawson Village. It started out to be a very promising weekend, filled with lots of team building activities and get-to-know you sessions. It was supposed to be a camp where you meet other RAs, who like you, are volunteering themselves to be part of the MRS family. Arriving at Rawson on Friday, it was an exhausting first day at camp. But Im lucky to be the College Head and to be in an air-conditioned room for the camp... I have no complaints so far...

On Sat morning, as I was about to do my part of the presentation, we got a message from our Director that camp is officially cancelled and that he wants us OUT of the campsite... Either go home or go to Monash Gippsland. Even though we weren't really in danger of the bushfire, we were near the area. But you would think.. "Nah... The fire wont come towards us.. We would be safe..." Nonetheless, we obeyed instructions. Packed up all our stuff and got ready to head to Monash Gippsland within half an hour. It's about half an hour journey to Monash Gippsland. And by this time, most of us were fuming and furious at the sudden change of plans.

Being myself, I am not a calm person when things get disorganised. I need a plan. I need direction. My leadership and organising instincts kicks in and I was a wreck. I tried not to show it (or tried my best not to) much by doing mental-organising in my head.. Just pretending that I was in-charge and how I would do things. This keeps me calm for awhile. We had lunch upon arrival, though there were some issues with accommodation and putting our bags and stuff... But that's another story..

After lunch, we found out that the fire is coming towards Monash Gippsland and that we would have been safe if we were to stay at where we original were. But then, it was too late to turn back anyway. Monash Gippsland was the temporary central base for the Firefighters (Note that these Firefighters are only volunteers). It's the place where they rest, feed, aid, organise, plan, etc.. Basically that was their home for the past couple of weeks. So we should be safe as long as they were there. We turned our attention to continue with the rest of the camp program. Before which, we had a discussion for each individual site, to make a decision on what we wanted to do.. To go home or to stay?!

The rest of the day went by.. With the sky getting darker with smoke and the weather getting hotter by the min.. We played some team building games and tried not to think about what is going on. I tried my best to concentrate on having fun and stop worrying about what's going to happen. At this point, we are still unsure if we're staying or going. The freeway is closed as the fire got onto a town near the freeway. Every time abit of news comes, I bite my tongue and try to say a little prayer. It's the only thing I could do... By 4-ish (i think), we found out that the wind direction has changed. The fire that was nearing Monash Gippsland has now altered its course and is going the other direction. However, we found out that our campsite is now under major fire threat. So it has been a good idea to have moved from the campsite to Monash afterall.. Oh.. THANK GOD!!

With a huge sign of relief, my brain starts to function better. We did our individual site activity and it was time for dinner. Our site was going to stay the night.. So was everyone else's. The roads were still closed and the Firefighters didnt want us to leave. It's getting darker... Too dark and smoky for 7pm.. Mattresses and linen were arranged at the Student Lounge. The news came on... Fire at Narre Warren & Pakenham areas... Oh god... Home is in the middle... Ok.. Everything should be alright, right?! The senior management staff, including yours truly, were starting to get cranky... There werent enough beds.. Boys needed their showers... It was getting messy.. But it's prob small peanuts to what is really happening..

When I woke up on Sunday morning, I immediately wanted to know what's going on. My mobile phones battery were dead so internet was useless. We're told that we might have to stay another night. The fire got worst overnight. At this time about 114 people have lost their lives. Thousands more homeless. We were assigned duties to do.. Helped the campus out by doing some chores. Everyone was happy and smiling.. And tried to keep the situation furtherst from their thoughts. The news covered the bushfire outcomes constantly. There were reports that arsonists were the cause of so many of the fires. Time flew by and it was lunch. We're going home.. We just need final confirmation from the Victoria Police that the roads are open. Everyone packed up. Thankfully, we left at about 4pm. We were happy to be leaving for home but our hearts wanted to stay and help out... You can see some of the towns and roads that were hit by the bushfire as the aftermath unfold along the freeway. You just want to get home safely..

What a weekend it's been. An experience I will never forget.. Thanks to those of you who were concerned about my safety from Singapore. It's been unreal.. You would think it will be alright, wouldn't you?! My thoughts are still with the firefighters who are still in a warzone with the bushfires. And the people who unfortunately lost everything they could possibly lose... And the ones who perished in the fire.. It's hard not to think about it when everytime you switch on the tv or read the papers, that's the only thing headlining... The nation has come together in this time of crisis.. I urge you to help in whatever way you can... In whatever means you have... Hopefully, the worst has come and gone...


I took the shot at Monash Gippsland.. We were THAT close to the fire...

No comments: